Marampa Mines Limited (“MML”)
The CR&D Department of MML is a fundamental part of the company’s sustainability program and responsible for implementing the company’s social commitments, including implementing community development projects, local stakeholder engagement, and addressing and resolving community grievances relating to MML’s mining operations. The CR&D department is organized into two core sections: Community Development and Community Liaison. The Community Development Project Manager will report to MML’s CR&D Director and provide high-level strategic input and operational management of MML’s Community Development activities including those implemented as part the company’s Community Development Agreement (CDA) and Community Development Action Plan (CDAP) commitments. The Community Development Project Manager’s primary responsibilities include managing and tracking implementation of community development activities, monitoring of project effectiveness, supporting internal communications/reporting, and maintaining external stakeholder correspondence in relation to MML’s Community Development projects, with the overall goal of reducing social risks to the mine and enhancing the value addition of the programs to local communities and to the company. The position is camp based at the Marampa mine site in Lunsar, Port Loko District.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
The Community Development Project Manager must have a strong record of day-to-day management of social programs in the challenging conditions of Sub-Saharan Africa and preferably in Sierra Leone. Other requirements are as follows:
- • Bachelor's degree in the Social Sciences (Business Administration, Economics, International Relations, or related sustainable development field).
- • A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in community relations/community development or a similar activity.
- • Management and/or coordination experience with stakeholder engagement.
- • Understanding of the workings of Provincial, District and Local municipalities.
- • Experience with leadership of multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams and building cohesive team function.
- • Demonstrated experience and extensive knowledge of policies, guidelines and practices promoted by international organisations, including the Equator Principles and IFC Performance Standards.
- • Good knowledge of budget preparation and administration. • Skills in evaluating, training and motivating employees. • Strong technical writing skills in English. • Good oral communication abilities in both English and local languages.
- • Proven management skills in a large organization setting.
- • Ability to adapt to living conditions in a remote area.
- • Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
About the Role
- Liaise with the Community Development Committees (CDC) to ensure coordination with the CR&D department
- • Supervise MML’s Community Development project teams including consultants and contractors.
- • Track performance in MML’s community development core programs.
- • Develop continuous improvement processes based on results from monitoring and evaluations.
- • Develop, implement, and supervise procedures for internal and external routine compliance
- • monitoring and quality assurance processes. • Keep stakeholders informed on community development programs and respond to all related queries.
- • Conceive/propose, and implement strategies on risk mitigation, community development and stakeholder engagement.
- • Actively work with MML’s ESG Working Group to ensure our CDA and CDAP obligations compliance.
- • Prepare, monitor, and report on the MML Community Development Fund (CDF) budget. • Identify opportunities to leverage the CDF with development programs of government, and other partners.
- • Establish and maintain dialogue with local authorities on social issues.
- • Represent MML at relevant conferences and fora as required.
- • Identify and facilitate trainings for the CR&D department, and it’s associated community development staff