Country Senior Accountant
Freetown, Sierra Leone
5 April 2022
To apply, use the link or send your CV to the Email address below.
If blank, use the "Apply now" button.
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan International Sierra Leone is seeking to recruit top-notch professional to fulfil the position Country Senior Accountant (Country Office-Freetown) to deliver the tasks outlined below:
- TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS, AND KNOWLEDGE Qualification and Experience: Essential
- University Degree in Accounting/Finance plus ACCA/CIMA/ACA Part qualification
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Knowledge is SAP is an advantage
- Fair knowledge of project management
- Excellent Microsoft excel skills
- Attention to details
- Good management skills
- Problem solving skills
- Good team player
- Good negotiating, facilitating and influencing skills
- Ability to be multi-tasked
- Ability to facilitate participative processes.
- Independence, objectivity and integrity.
- Organized, methodical and meticulous Desirable
- Develops, motivates and coaches direct reports.
- Promotes innovation and learning.
- Gains, develop and retain credibility about his/her Performance
- Flair with numbers
- Strong analytical and interpersonal skills
- Working in a team where there is a diverse cultural environment.
- Ability and willingness to undertake additional assignment not outlined here.
- NGO sector or Project Management experience
Plan International’s Values
To apply for this job, kindly click on "Apply" Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- A comprehensive CV including details of two referees, one of whom should be your current or most recent supervisor
Only short-listed candidates shall be contacted. References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plan International Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy.
Plan International follows an equal opportunity policy and actively encourages diversity welcoming applications from all especially women and people living with disability.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
Location: Country Office / Freetown
Type of Role: Country Senior Accountant
Reports to: Country Finance Manager
Closing Date: 5th April, 2022
Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the very heart of everything that Plan International stands for.
We want Plan International to reflect the diversity of the communities we work with, offering equal opportunities to everyone regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Plan International is based on a culture of inclusivity and we strive to create a workplace environment that ensures every team, in every office, in every country, is rich in diverse people, thoughts, and ideas.
We foster an organisational culture that embraces our commitment to racial justice, gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. This means that we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with and we must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with Plan International's Safeguarding Children and Young People policy. Plan International also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this scheme we will request information from applicants previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
About the Role
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
This position is to ensure that all Country financial operations are conducted in line with the Plan International Operations Manual (OM) and other approved policies and procedures at the IH, RO and CO levels.
DIMENSIONS OF ROLE
- Helps CFM to control Country Annual Budget
- Accounts Officer reports directly to the role
- Area of Responsibility – Country program
- Provide support for and implement operational plans to agreed standards
- Assist with the development of solutions to diverse and complex problems and develop solutions to more routine problems.
- Apply information received in a variety of formats primarily from internal sources
- Flexibility to anticipate and resolve challenges within the operational context
- Impact of this role is significant within the department and the wider country office
- Influence functional/ operational or specialist planning
Prepare Financial and other Reports to aid the preparation of the overall country’s financial report for dissemination and decision making:
- Assist the Country Finance Manager (CFM) in preparing Financial Reports
- Assist the CFM in the preparation of quarterly and year-end financial schedules.
- Prepare and provide comments on the Country financial reports i.e. Monthly GL Account balances, CMP Advance Register Analysis, Budget vs. Actual reports etc.
- Prepare and update Country sub ledgers for all balance sheet accounts ensuring they tally with the account balances.
- Drive the implementation of the cashless policy of Plan International Sierra Leone
- Prepare the quarterly severance and holiday pay provision on a quarterly basis and at year end.
Support Budget preparation and Budgetary Control for the effective implementation of financial plans:
- Participate in the preparation of the Country’s annual budget.
- Assist in the monitoring of Country, Programme Implementation and Impact Area (PIIA) Offices and Project budgets.
- In charge of the Finance department budget preparation, modification and monitoring.
- Consolidate monthly Budget, Expenses and Project commitment report.
Coordinate Treasury Management and Cash Forecasting for the country to ensure the availability of funds for country operations:
- Ensure Prompt transfer of funds to Project dedicated bank accounts.
- Monitor Country Treasure and ensure that there is always funds for Country Operations.
- Prepare monthly TBB reports and ensure that there are no excess cash in bank accounts
- Monitor project cash flow and advise the grant team on reimbursement requirement of donors
Manage the operation in SAP to meet Plan’s spending and financial reporting requirements:
- Ensure that payments are only made on approved budgets and active Projects.
- Accuracy checks are undertaken to ensure that all transactions entered into the Financial System are correct.
- Review packed documents from PIIA Accountants and ensure they are correct before posting them.
- Review and manage Intercompany Recharges within country and outside countries.
- Country GL balances especially balance sheet accounts are accurate before closing the period for month end
- Ensure the SAP monthly reports are printed and attached to Sub Ledger Accounts for sign off.
- Analyse Country GL Account balance especially expense accounts before period closure and recommend the necessary corrections to CFM.
- Ensure that a digital filling is maintained a good filing for all Country Financial document.
Implement Internal Financial Controls & Payment processes for the attainment of value for money at all times:
- Proactively undertake reconciliations, controls and investigations in order to confirm the integrity, accuracy and validity of financial information.
- Facilitate the weekly payment list based on the Cash forecast requirement approved by the Regional Office.
- Ensure all payments are made as per approved policies and procedures.
- Review all the vouchers and cheques issued before signed off by Plan Managers.
- Cheques should not be issued if it does not form part of the weekly payment list, exceptions should be approved by CFM.
- Supporting the CFM in during audits,
- Monitor and submit quarterly report on CO financial risk.
- Country accounting is processed and prepared based on the accrual accounting principle.
Control the administration of staff payroll for the accurate and timely payment of staff salaries:
- Ensure National staff’s payroll correctly prepared and promptly entered in SAP
- Preparation of LSW for all International staff.
- Prepare the monthly salary reconciliation report.
- Maintain a good filing for payroll report in a restricted area.
- Supervision of Accounts Officers.
- Provide training and share good experience/practice among the team to strengthen team capacity.
- Keep CFM informed of any initiative or difficulties relating to the job’s responsibilities.
- Fulfil Plan’s Child Protection Policy at all times to protect children from all forms of abuse
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time to support the achievement of organizational goals.
- High level contact with the banks to ensure effective treasury
- Medium contact with Plan partner organizations to ensure Plan receives value for money and the financial requirements are adhered to.
- Work closely with HR department
- Work closely with Grants Department
- Has high contact with all country office and program Admin staff to support smooth compliance of the finance and accounting functions
- Maintains medium contact with other staff from the program unit and country offices to offer support for compliance with finance and accounting procedures
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
Ensure staff understand Plan International’s commitment to driving a feminist agenda within the organization, and the ambition for gender equality and gender transformative leadership is embedded in our value-based leadership framework