EU Project Coordinator
Freetown, Sierra Leone
23 December 2022
To apply, use the link or send your CV to the Email address below.
If blank, use the "Apply now" button.
Trócaire works in partnership with local and church organisations, supporting communities in over 20 developing countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East to bring about lasting change. Trócaire envisages a just and peaceful world where; people’s dignity is ensured and rights are respected; basic needs are met and resources are shared equitably; people have control over their own lives; those in power act for the common good.
In Sierra Leone, Trócaire is working with partners to bring about positive and lasting changes around women’s socio-economic and political empowerment.
The Project Coordinator is a new role and is responsible for the overall implementation of a recently awarded EU contract focusing on supporting Gender Equality & Social Accountability through a strengthened civil society in 14 wards in Western Area Rural, Kambia and Bombali districts.
Reporting to Programme Manager, this is a fixed contract for 28 months and is based in Sierra Leone.
This is a national position. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Graduate university degree in Development of related field of study.
- At least 5 years of demonstrable experience in the management of development projects, particularly using a partnership model;
- Sound experience of budgetary and financial management;
- In-depth understanding of programming in a partnership model, working in a partnership-based INGO;
- Experience in organising and facilitating meetings, workshops and training activities;
- Experience in organisational development strengthening and capacity strengthening of local civil society organisations (CSOs).
- Experienced in databased management software (Salesforce and Agresso).
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills;
- Highly organised, with excellent planning, prioritisation and problem-solving skills;
- Strong communications and facilitation skills;
- Excellent report writing and documentation skills;
- Monitoring and evaluation skills
- Competent in Microsoft packages (Word, Excel)
- Fluency (written and spoken) in English
- Flexibility and ability to multi-task under pressure
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- A strong commitment and empathy with the ethos and work of Trócaire
- Ability and willingness to travel within country and internationally
- Commitment to principles of safeguarding of programme participants
- Commitment to gender equality principles
- Financial integrity and stewardship of project funds
For the candidate with the required experience and passion for the role, Trócaire offers a competitive package of salary and benefits. This position is aligned to Grade 6 on Trócaire Sierra Leone’s national salary scale.
Starting salary: NLe 152,590 – NLe 224,420.
About the Role
EY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Project Coordination and Management
- Provide overall support to partners in project implementation and ensure timely and qualitative implementation of the project by partners in line with Trócaire and donor requirements and regulations;
- Act as focal person for the project with partners in the field; and ensure effective referral and support on technical issues by relevant Trócaire Technical Advisors, Programme Accountant or Finance Officer;
- Work closely Trócaire’s Business Development & Compliance Manager (BDCM) to ensure donor compliance, grant management and timely reporting.
- Oversee the timely and effective delivery of the project work plan and ensure all agreed upon activities are carried out to good effect;
- Conduct frequent field visits to project sites to assess activities and ensure efficient use of resources;
- Work closely with Trócaire’s Technical Advisors to ensure that programming approaches are in line with best practices, are well defined, documented and consistently applied;
- Collation of partner reports and development of timely and quality consolidated donor reports;
- Review the Project Budget versus Actual reports to avoid under/over spending and ensure accurate budget forecasting and expense planning;
- Follow up with the implementing partners on any issues that emerges in the reporting and monitoring visits, and work with them to realign or revise project strategies and plans as necessary;
- Work closely with Trócaire’s and partners’ M&E officers to develop a practical M&E plan for the project, ensure its application in a consistent way and ensure that learning from M&E informs the project;
- Maintain oversight of timely and reliable data collection for project indicators
- Organise monthly Project Implementation Committee meetings with implementing partners;
- Liaise with and provide updates on progress to the Project Steering Committee
- Maintain updated project and partner files on Salesforce and hard copy;
- Lead annual coordination meetings with implementing partners and Trócaire staff to review progress and challenges.
- In collaboration with relevant colleagues, ensure project start-up and closeout meetings are organised.
Communication and stakeholder engagement
- Ensure visibility plan and requirements are respected and applied as appropriate;
- Accompany visitors to project sites and carry out promotional or media work as required.
- Provide regular project updates to Trócaire’s country team.
- Support, facilitate or undertake communication and liaison activities, ensuring the active consultation and involvement of programme participants, local stakeholders, and partners in all stages of project implementation;
- Development of case studies and project updates for Trócaire’s newsletter, social media or website;
Civil society capacity strengthening
- Take the lead in ensuring quality and timely implementation activities to strengthen the managerial, organisational, technical and financial capacities of local CSOs and CBOs to effectively promote women’s inclusion and participation in governance and development processes;
- Development of TORs for key organizational development and capacity strengthening outputs as well as planning of trainings, management of consultants and engagement of Trócaire’s technical advisors to ensure quality and timely delivery of outputs;
- Conduct organisational capacity assessments of 3 local partners and support the implementation of their capacity building plans;
- Review, provide critical feedback, and support the revision of all manuals, guidelines, training materials, and other outputs produced as a result of the project;
- Manage the successful delivery of the project’s internship scheme;
- Facilitate exchange visits and learning events at national and international level;
- Take the lead in managing a Community of Practice on Women’s Empowerment Programming and a Working Group on Civil Society Strengthening;
- Provide technical support to partners on organisational strengthening of women’s farmer organisations and networks.
- Undertake other agreed tasks related to the project and Trócaire’s overall work in Sierra Leone as agreed with the Programme Manager and/or Country Director.