National Fertilizer Regulatory Agency
The Laboratory Technician shall be supervised by the Fertilizer Laboratory Manager. She/he will be responsible for receiving, labeling and analyzing fertilizer samples. The Fertilizer Laboratory Technician shall conduct fertilizer quality tests by applying standard operating procedures and produce analytical reports.
The Fertilizer Laboratory Technician reports to the Fertilizer Laboratory Manager.
Qualification, Professional Experience and Skills
v BSc. degree in Chemistry or closely related field is highly desired.
v Minimum of 4 years proven professional work experience (theoretical and practical) as laboratory technician in the field of fertilizers or related field such as soils; fertilizer manufacturing experience is a plus.
v Have knowledge of laboratory techniques such as Spectrophometry, Atomic Absorption Spectrometry, Gas Chromatography, Gas seizing, High Performance Liquid Chromatography, Ion Chromatography, Near Infrared Spectrometry, X-ray Wavelength Dispersive Spectrometry, Total Carbon/Nitrogen Spectrometry, pH – metry, Conductivity, Refractometry, Turbidimetry, Viscosimetry, Gravimetry, Electrochemistry including Cold vapor atomic absorption spectrometry, Flame atomic absorption spectrometry, High Performance Liquid Chromatography, Hydride generation atomic absorption spectrometry, Flame atomic absorption spectrometry and Cold vapor atomic absorption spectrometry.
v Ability to use a wide variety of laboratory equipment and materials
v Ability to perform routine maintenance on laboratory equipment and determine when and what kind of maintenance is required.
v Strong attention to details and accuracy
v Ability to communicate effectively in written/spoken English.
v Excellent analytical and time management skills
v Good teamwork skills
v Ability to record test results accurately and prepare technical reports.
v Should be computer Literate (ability to operate standard computer software applications such as Microsoft word and Excel)
v Ability to use scientific rules and methods to solve problems
v Able to comprehend and communicate written policies and procedures
v Ability to use own initiative with limited supervision
v Ability to work autonomously and under pressure
v Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines
v Able to maintain and promote professionalism in interaction with team members and clients.
v Adaptable to changing work environment
v Safety minded: lead by example and support the Agency’s initiatives
v Carry out other duties as required and assigned by the Senior Fertilizer Inspector or NaFRA management.
About the Role
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare fertilizer samples and conduct relevant fertilizer quality tests using standard operating procedures to confirm claims (guaranteed analysis) on the fertilizer product and other relevant considerations in line with the National Fertilizer Regulations, 2020.
- Ensure that standard handling and safety procedures are strictly followed
- Record laboratory analytical data and timely produce correct laboratory analysis report.
- Take responsibility for designated instrument(s) and undertake timely and correct calibration of instruments to ensure integrity of instrument data outputs.
- Ensure proper care and maintenance of the laboratory facility to keep the laboratory as a good and safe work environment.
- Carry out other duties as required and assigned by the Fertilizer Analytical Manager.
Duty Station: Based in Freetown with occasional travels to the provinces.
Profile required (Person Specifications)