Field Based Climate Smart Agriculture Specialist
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
Agriculture & Farming
Freetown, Sierra Leone
13 April 2022
To apply, use the link or send your CV to the Email address below.
If blank, use the "Apply now" button.
Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
FAO Sierra Leone in collaboration with UNDP is implementing a joint project that uses the Human Security Approach to address development challenges and vulnerabilities in three chiefdom areas of Kono District of Sierra Leone. This joint programme will accelerate Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) implementation, while increasing ownership of the goals in the local community. Through a people-centred, context-specific framework, this programme will advance the livelihood and dignity of people in the community, particularly those who are most vulnerable. The target community in Kono District was selected in consultation with the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development and local authorities. It is consistent with the Ministry’s goal of enabling local ownership of development.
The multifaceted nature of the programmes is in keeping with the human security people-centered approach and fosters a community that is more resilient to internal and external shocks and stresses, whether human induced, or natural. The programme is designed in a way that one arm ensures transformational community governance through empowerment, knowledge, capacity and diverse input to decision making, whilst the other enables sustainable agriculture, food security, livelihood and economic diversity and resilience. Together, these initiatives support the community’s cohesiveness, livelihood, and dignity.
To kick start the implementation process, FAO Sierra Leone is seeking to recruit a Field based Climate Smart Agriculture Expert who will be based in Freetown with the sole aim of implementing CSA intervention in Kono District with the objectives (i) to develop institutional and individuals capacities to address climate risks and adaptation planning, (ii) to enhance the resilience of agricultural productive systems to build smallholders climate resilience and adaptive capacities, and (iii) promote CSA and Agro-ecological best practices while raising awareness and disseminate new knowledge
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Sierra Leone and assisted by the FAOR in charge of Programme and in close collaboration with Project Manager and counterpart authorities/staff, other FAO personnel, the Field based Climate Smart Agriculture Officer will carry out the following tasks.
Provide climate smart agriculture technical expertise throughout the implementation of the project with particular focus on Agro-ecology and use of local resources and indigenous knowledge.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- A degree in Agriculture, Climate Change, Environmental Sciences or other closely related field or any other related field.
- At least 3 years of progressively responsible experience in climate smart agriculture, rural development and livelihoods field activities
- Working knowledge of English (level C). An understanding of local languages spoken in Kono district is an added advantage.
- National of Sierra Leone.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Ability to Supervise, manage and support to field activities of the project.
- Ability to manage trainings and capacity building programme of the project.
- Relevant experience/ exposure, skills and knowledge in results-based approach/management.
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing)
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
- Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For additional employment opportunities visit the FAO employment website: http://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required. Vaccination status will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
About the Role
Task and Responsibilities
- Roll out the existing climate smart agriculture training module developed by FAO and conduct gender responsive Climate Smart Agriculture training
- Perform desk review of existing and potential CSA and Agro-ecological practices that support transitions to sustainable agriculture;
- Analyze needs and adoption barriers for Agro-ecology and CSA approaches among farmers, producer organizations, and agribusinesses
- Ensure that cross-cutting aspects such as nutrition, gender equity, social inclusion, and water systems are included and well integrated into CSA approaches;
- Assist in developing training and workshop content for farmers, government partners, small and medium agribusinesses and other stakeholders on climate smart agriculture;;
- Assist Project Manager to prepare technical reports, agreements and selection of service providers for the projectPerform other tasks requested by the FAO Representative