Internal Control Officer
Plan International Sierra Leone
Freetown, Sierra Leone
15 March 2022
To apply, use the link or send your CV to the Email address below.
If blank, use the "Apply now" button.
Plan International Sierra Leone
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Plan International Sierra Leone is seeking to recruit top-notch professional to fulfil the position of Internal Control Officer based 80% at operational sites and 20% at Country Office to deliver the tasks outlined below:
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- First degree in auditing/ accounting/finance/management or equivalent.
- At least 3 years’ experience in internal audit
- Good analytical skills
- Good interpersonal skills (open-minded, diplomatic)
- Ability to remain calm and positive under pressure and in difficult situations
- Ability to negotiate, persuade and influence
- Good listener with strong advisory skills
- Excellent writing and speaking skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Organised, methodical and meticulous.
- Professional qualification in accounting/auditing
- First-hand experience and knowledge of working in the development sector –external /internal auditing
- Familiarity with project management and development sector donor requirements
- Knowledge of Sierra Leone legal and regulatory environment
- Understanding of Risk Management concepts
- Facilitation and coaching skills.
The role will be required to frequently travel to the schools/communities.
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
Ensure staff understand Plan International’s commitment to driving a feminist agenda within the organization, and the ambition for gender equality and gender transformative leadership is embedded in our value-based leadership framework.
About the Role
The Internal Control function is part of the second line of defense, supporting the implementation of effective risk management through monitoring the functioning of the country’s internal controls to ensure that they comply with organizational policies, procedures, and guidelines. Additionally, the incumbent is responsible for coordinating all internal and external audits and following up on audit action lists on the Integrated School Feeding Project.
DIMENSIONS OF ROLE
- Reports to the Risk Management and Internal control Manager, with a dotted line to the Country Director and Team Leader Integrated School Feeding Programme (ISFP).
- Acts as the focal point for regular monitoring on the implementation of the Integrated School Feeding Programme (ISFP)
- Budget responsibility limited to area specific matters
- Coordinates and implements (in consultation with the Risk Management and Internal Control Manager) a comprehensive internal control (audit) schedule.
- Participates in the design of all tools required for the internal control work (Term of Reference (ToR), work plans, reporting format, protocols, etc.) to enable the satisfactory execution of internal control assignments.
- Prepares reports for management on internal control assignments undertaken
- Facilitates any required self-assessment exercises on the effectiveness of internal controls
- Advises and supports the Risk Management and Internal Control Manager in the strengthening of internal controls, systems, and processes, including training and development, needs to address control gaps
- Conduct monthly monitoring on a sampled bases the implementation of the Integrated School feeding project and report your findings to the Risk Management and Internal Control Manager
- Facilitates the sharing of learning, based on best practices within the organization as well as on best practices
- Actively participates in any regional internal control/audit networks as well as relevant external networks concerning internal controls and risk management
- Drives the testing of the internal control system in place for robustness, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Conducts half-yearly inventory of Plan assets.
- Reviews of the procurement process to determine the level of risk and propose actions to mitigate them.
- Conducts yearly verification of suppliers list before approval by management
- Undertakes the review of fleet management to assure management of effective and efficient use of its vehicles for Plan business.
- Review contracts, MoUs, funding agreements in conformity with approved procedures and laws.
- Responsible for the quarterly review of advances and their liquidation in advance reports.
- Performs/participates in other sensitive reviews and investigations as assigned.
Partner Risk Management
- Responsible for the review of partners (LNGOs) activities (deliverables, reporting) about MoU/Funding Agreements signed with Plan every quarter
- Monitors whether appropriate due diligence is carried out on all potential partners, including financial capacity assessment, ISFP Commodity handling, and anti-terrorism screening
- Supports training and capacity-building of partners on internal controls
- Monitors actions taken to address weaknesses identified from due diligence(s) conducted on partners
- Coordinates/performs partner audits to ensure compliance with donor and Plan rules and regulations
External Audits and Reviews
- Acts as the focal point for all external audits, facilitating the timely provision of documents and information as required by external auditors/reviewers
- Monitors actions taken by management in response to external audits and reviews, ensuring that all such actions are implemented and reported as agreed and on a timely basis
- Acts as the focal point for regular updates provided by management in the Country Risk Register
- Tracks progress of agreed actions to mitigate risks
- Acts as the focal point for Promoting Enhanced Transparency, Accountability and Learning initiative (PETAL) for tracking implementation of management actions designed to ensure more effective fraud prevention, detection, and anticipation, to achieve greater transparency in operations, and to improve accountability to stakeholders
Child & Youth Safeguarding, and Gender Equality & Inclusion Policy Implementation
Ensures that the global policies on Safeguarding Children & Young People and Gender Equality & Inclusion are monitored and effectively implemented and that any concerns are reported and managed by the appropriate procedures.
Risk Management and Internal Control Manager
- Management team – Integrated School Feeding Programme (ISFP)
- All CO staff including Managers/supervisors
- Internal controllers and Global Assurance team in the WACA region
- Implementing Partners
- Suppliers/Service providers
- External auditors commissioned by Plan or donor to audit projects sponsored by the donors.
- Relevant professional internal audit/risk management networks.