WFP - World Food Programme
JOB TITLE: International Food Technologist
TYPE OF CONTRACT: International Consultant (CST- Level II)
DUTY STATION (City, Country): Freetown, Sierra Leone
DURATION: 6 Months
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
Sierra Leone is facing complex human development challenges. Problems of poor nutrition and food insecurity and widespread rural and urban impoverishment persists in spite of remarkable strides and reforms.
Some 57% of the population are food insecure with a very limited and poor diet. While acute malnutrition rates in Sierra Leone have improved, 26% of children under 5 are still chronically malnourished. Only 5% of children meet the Minimum Acceptable Diet.
The country office is implementing a 5-year Country Strategic Plan (CSP) 2020 – 2024. The CSP aims at contributing to an integrated human capital development through programmatic and complementary convergence of its support to nutrition, education and food security/livelihood.
It specifically focus on stunting prevention through strengthening community capacities and building resilience. The project at hand will increase that access to affordable local nutritious complementary foods for infants and young children at community level by creating five small scale food production enterprises with Women groups.
In collaboration with the Sierra Leone Agriculture Research Institute, four tested local recipes will be used and all raw material will be sourced from local farmers who are encouraged to diversify their production for an improved diet for all.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Food Technology, nutrition, public health, food sciences or related discipline with additional field experience of related task for more than 5 years.
Knowledge & Skills:
Knowledge on recent standards for food quality and control measures on food production.
Ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing.
Good interpersonal skills ability to work in a team in a multi-cultural context;
Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook).
Language: Proficiency in oral and written communication in English.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
10 May 2022
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
About the Role
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Nutrition Unit the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Manage the set up of 5 small scale enterprises that will produce locally enriched complementary foods.
- Provide technical support to 5 mother support groups on safe and hygienic production of enriched complementary foods in five chiefdoms.
- Establish appropriate handling, storage, and preservation guidelines of locally produced complementary food to optimize use of resources.
- Develop marketing of the products ensuring affordability.
- Support and guide the procurement of raw material
- Lead the testing of the best packing material.
- Transfer skills to District Nutrition teams on knowledge in relation to food safety and quality and product optimization concepts and principles to implement protocols and tools to relating to food technology issues.
- Based on Business model recommendations, develop framework for MSG with production site for complementary foods, supply chain plan to enhance community access and utilization of produce and prevent wastage.
- Develop training manual on locally produced complementary food to be rolled-out by national team (WFP CO, Directorate of Food and Nutrition staff).
- Conduct TOT for national capacities on food production, safety and quality measure.
- Assist with semi-impact evaluation for locally enriched complementary foods
- Perform other duties as required.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.