Key Population Specialist – GF Sierra Leone
GF Sierra Leone
IT & Telecoms
Freetown, Sierra Leone
25 March 2022
To apply, use the link or send your CV to the Email address below.
If blank, use the "Apply now" button.
GF Sierra Leone
The Key Populations Specialist, will provide strategic guidance on community responses and key populations, collaborating across the communities, to Christian Aid Sierra Leone (CASL), Ministry of Health and Sanitation (MoHS), and with external partners especially those working on the Global Fund (GF).
The role works directly with the Country Team and serves as a Focal Point for partners working with Key Populations, providing, and assisting with cross-cutting community, human rights and gender-related technical expertise across the project life cycle.
The role also provides the CASL and MoHS with expert guidance on key populations, keeping staff updated on the most up-to-date scientific evidence and best program practices in the area of key populations; identifying opportunities for reprogramming within existing related project,; and liaising closely with programme team, MoHS and key partners to maximize the GFs contribution to AIDS, TB and malaria responses including addressing issues related to KPs.
The role will contribute to program planning, implementation, monitoring, logistics management and reporting of assigned project activities through working with and support team manager and colleagues. Provide technical support to partners to develop organizational plans, providing support in designing effective HIV/Aids and KPs programmes. The role requires technical specialism in KPs and community health and includes technical expertise.
Relationships External Contact with MoHS, institutional donors and stakeholders on the Global Fund Project, Partners and government agencies Internal Linking with GF programme and technical teams, the role is to be line managed by the Programme Manager – GF.
Budgetary/savings responsibility: no budgetary and or staff responsibility
- Problems or issues need detailed information gathering, investigation and analysis including assessment of benefits and risks of different courses of action.
- Initiative and judgment need to be applied regularly in the course of day-to-day work. Expected to make direct contribution to improved performance, whether through own area of work or participation in cross-disciplinary projects
Developing self and others
Number of Direct reports Overall people management responsibility 3
May have formal responsibility for his / her development including direct responsibility for performance management and developing plans to improve the performance of partners, volunteers or others; has project management responsibility for directing work with others and taking responsibility for ensuring that work quality and professional standards are maintained.
Role related checks Child protection clearance Not required Counter terrorism screening Not required
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise
- Experience at national level in the area of key populations focusing on either programming, advocacy, and or policy development.
- A strong understanding of the intersections between community responses, health, gender and human rights.
- A minimum of 6 years’ experience in working with national, regional and/or international civil society organisations and key population networks, as well as other key stakeholders.
- Experience of designing and implementing HIV programs for key populations in in Sierra Leone.
- Experience working with local / community-based organization.
- Knowledge of Global Fund and its policies, processes and its governance structure.
- An understanding of the national health and HIV/KPs landscape.
- Experience of HIV, TB or Malaria programming.
- Demonstrated in-country experience in the field of program design, monitoring and implementation
- Skills and experience in national advocacy and lobbying processes, particularly on issues related to KPs and community health in Sierra Leone at national, regional and district levels.
- Familiarity in working with MoHS and Local NGOs in Sierra Leone
- Experience in public Health & managing community health programmes including PMTCT, Community system strengthening and SRH.
- Collaboration and building networks/alliances for a purpose
- Excellent community mobilization, advocacy and interpersonal and communication skills.
- Significant experience in working with local partner organisations.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills with ability to work as a team member and the ability to effectively represent Christian Aid at national level.
- Work independently with initiative to manage high volume workflow with the ability to plan and prioritize own work under tight deadlines.
- An excellent knowledge of English language – both written and speaking
Digital/IT competencies required
Word, Excel, PowerPoint IntermediateWeb content design & developmentN/AInternet based collaboration tools and video callingBasicSocial MediaBasicData VisualisationBasic
Further details of specific tasks and duties will be agreed with the line manager as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility.
This role profile is not prescriptive; it merely outlines the key behaviours the role-holder requires to be successful in the role; the key behaviours and responsibilities are subject to change. Any changes will be made in consultation with the role-holder.
You will be expected to abide by the Code of Conduct, policies and procedures within Christian Aid which may be updated from time to time.
You must empathise with the aims, beliefs and values of Christian Aid as it seeks to work on relief, development and advocacy for poverty eradication.
How to apply
For more information on application procedures, visit Christian Aid website https://jobs.christianaid.org.uk/vacancy/3649/description and follow the steps to apply online. Please note: Hard copies of application will not be accepted.
Please forward any queries you have regarding this vacancy on email to email@example.com
Closing date for application is 25th March 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Successful candidates will be given a provisional offer. Contracting into role will be conditional on Christian Aid SL being awarded the contract.
Owing to the urgency of this recruitment, the process of shortlisting and interviewing will be ongoing during the period of the advert until a successful candidate is appointed.
About the Role
Key outcomes: Perform the following duties under the supervision of the project lead
- Serve as the main technical liaison person for key population networks
- Leads on specific technical guidance to the team lead and GF staff on key population related issues, ensuring they are effectively addressed through using informed guidance and implementation tools.
- Works closely with the team lead, staff, MoHS and GF partners, acting as the focal person supporting the identification of, and respond to cross-cutting community, human rights and gender-related needs and programming for key, vulnerable and underserved populations across the programme life cycle.
- Contributes to the development, evaluation and continual refinement of capacity building tools and trainings for CA GF project staff, and in-country partners on issues related to gender, human rights, and community responses.
- Provides expert advice for local partners, including networks of key populations, identifies opportunities for reprogramming of existing HIV / KPs, and for programming of new related funding for maximum impact and optimal alignment of Global Fund financed programs with the organization’s strategic objectives
- Actively contributes to technical relationships on key populations with external partners at the district and national level to ensure the prompt interpretation of new knowledge on and normative guidance on key populations as relevant to GF programme
- Contributes to the development of regular reports, briefs, publications, press releases and other advocacy or information materials, as directed by the programme team on GF Investment Support and Key Populations
- Performs other duties consistent with the role and grade as required
Expected travel per annumUp to 50 daysOn call: Yes
Surge capacity for emergency responses No
Based in Freetown with regular travels to project locations, the role is part of the wider Christian Aid country team, within the GF programme team. The role works closely with the programme manager and the Thematic Health Advisor as well as all members of the GF and programme team based in Sierra Leone. The role also works to ensure effective integration of KPs into the wider implementation of the GF/HIV/Aids project. It will ensure project coordination at MoHS and national level.