Health & Medicine
Freetown, Sierra Leone
19 December 2022
To apply, use the link or send your CV to the Email address below.
If blank, use the "Apply now" button.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The UN Clinics operate, regarding technical matters only, under the general supervision of the UN Medical Director and with the UNDP Operation manager in regard to all administrative matters.
Under the supervision of the UN Medical Doctor, the Pharmacist is responsible for the effective delivery of pharmaceutical services. The Pharmacist ensures the timely availability of medicines and related supplies in a cost-effective manner. The Pharmacist is directly responsible for the procurement /purchase of all Medicines, Diagnostic equipment, and Medical Supplies for the UN clinic at the duty station.
Through both technical knowledge and discretion, the Pharmacist is responsible for gaining the trust and confidence of each patient seen and maintaining trust within the entire UN community served, ensuring reliable, timely, accurate, and confidential pharmacy services.
The incumbent will ensure appropriate management and storage of drugs and consumables at the duty station following international standards and manage the administrative aspects of the Pharmacy in accordance with established policy procedures. The UN Clinic Nurse performs the functions under the immediate supervision of the UN Medical Physician with regards to technical matters only and the overall supervision of the UN Resident Coordinator for all administrative matters.
The technical supervision of the physician and the medical personnel in the field as well as the technical performance evaluation will be executed by the UN Medical Director or his nominee. In order to ensure that UNDP should facilitate external access to its Performance Development and Management system to MSD.
Quality nursing services that contribute to the good physical and mental health of staff are provided.
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the dispensary. Accurate analysis and presentation of information thoroughly researched, and fully documented work strengthens the capacity of the UN Clinic at the duty station and facilitates subsequent action by the supervisor. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in the results of work and timely finalization
The Pharmacist will directly report to Health Manager under the guidance of DRR.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work;
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking;
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning;
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process;
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously;
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships;
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Business Development: Knowledge Facilitation
- Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share, particularly externally.
Business Direction & Strategy: Effective decision making
- Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources
- Procurement of services for PPE and laboratory equipment for national COVID-19 responses or any outbreak. Access to diagnostics and treatment including private-sector engagement
Business Development: Knowledge Generation
- Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
Planning and Organizing: Planning and Organizing
- Ability to provide advice and guidance on managing, planning, and coordinating medical activities
Ethics: Ethics and Guidance
- Ability to quickly analyses compels fact patterns and provide comprehensive, sensitive, and confidential ethics advice and guidance
- Ability to create synergy between team members with diverse professional and cultural backgrounds, being able to leverage their broad knowledge and skillsets. Understands how regulations and professional standards in UN and Country medical work.
Required Skills and Experience
- A Masters/Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy or pharmaceutical sciences from an accredited university or related field with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience.
- Minimum 2 years (Bachelor's degree) experience in a relevant health-related field, e.g. Public Health, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Health Economics or equivalent;
- Proven experience as clinical pharmacist;
- Residency training and current license are required;
- Excellent understanding of pharmaceutical therapy and direct patient care;
- Solid knowledge of drug administration and health & safety guidelines;
- Working knowledge of computers;
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate with people from all sections of the community;
- Analytical skills;
- The ability to think critically;
- Strong numerical skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Observation skills.
- Fluency in oral and written English; Knowledge of other UN languages is an advantage.
- Member of Sierra Leone Pharmaceutical Society.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
About the Role
Duties and Responsibilities
A. Medico-Administrative Functions
- Developing, updating and implementing a mission list for drugs and medical consumables, based on generic drugs produced according the World Health Organization (WHO) standards;
- Develops and maintains a system for ongoing inspections of drug safety in all duty station medical facilities;
- Offers day-to-day advice on pharmaceutical issues including evaluating different antibiotics for impact on the local microbiological situation, and secures that mission personnel do not unnecessarily influence the ecological balance through the use of antibiotics;
- Responsible for advising the Medical Doctor in the specification of drugs to be requisitioned, and for offering a prudent scale of issue for the planning of re-supply;
- Through proactive planning and facilitation of an unimpeded supply of drugs, medical supplies, medical consumables, vaccines, condoms (male and female) and blood in the field mission.
B. Pharmaceutical Planning and Monitoring
- Prepare Annual Procurement Plan for procurement of medicines, Diagnostics and medical supplies and supervise its implementations;
- Monitoring the consumption of drugs, laboratory reagents, medical and surgical consumables at the UN Dispensary;
- Assisting the health team in the treatment and side effect monitoring;
- Dispensing valid prescriptions and medical supplies to patients of UN Clinic;
- Storing and record keeping of stocks; following international standards;
- Accounting for the applicable medical supplies and equipment according to recommended guidelines;
- Participating in logistics operations pertaining to the management of expired supplies and re-distribution of medical supplies in the UN clinic;
- Ensures that supplies contracts are prepared, signed and issued to winning parties;
- Carries out post award activities of establishing import declaration forms and forms of payment to suppliers;
- Prepares timely and accurate reports;
- Ensure a proper and safe disposal of hazardous material and medical waste in close coordination with the Medical Doctor and Nurses and Lab technicians;
- Performs other duties as required.