Security & Safety
Freetown, Sierra Leone
25 March 2022
To apply, use the link or send your CV to the Email address below.
If blank, use the "Apply now" button.
To provide support to Christian Aid’s safeguarding work in Sierra Leone. The post holder will be responsible for providing training support and guidance on safeguarding matters to colleagues and partners and ensuring the organisational Safeguarding Policy is adhered to at a Country Level. The successful applicant will also be responsible for conducting safeguarding investigations and providing written reports to the Programme Manger.
External Local NGO sector, implementing partners and regulators
Internal Relationships across the whole programme and ability to interface at all levels from community member to country manager. Strong interface with programme team and others with safeguarding and accountability roles within Christian Aid.
· Proposes action CASL should take to mainstream safeguarding into programming
· Demonstrates ability to be a change agent on organisational culture, policy and practice.
· Provides support and advice to the Sierra Leone country programme and ID staff and global staff working on Safeguarding
· Represents Christian Aid’s approach externally with other NGOs, donors, and in collaboration with the Global Programme Safeguarding Advisor and the Programme Manager
· Appraises, monitors and reviews progress
Budgetary/savings responsibility n/a
The role is expected to be able to work autonomously and innovatively whilst ensuring appropriate consultation with key stakeholders.
Developing self and others
Number of Direct reports None
Overall people management responsibility In country leadership on safeguarding
The successful applicant will act as an advisor to Country Teams in safeguarding matters. Ability to influence a range of audiences to ensure the best outcome for Christian Aid country programme on safeguarding risks. Able to deal with sensitive matters comprehensively and robustly including safeguarding investigations.
Role related checks
Child protection clearance Not required Counter terrorism screening Required
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise
· Considerable experience of safeguarding policy and procedure implementation including knowledge of local legislation and regulation and relevant enforcement bodies
· Experience of delivering safeguarding training and awareness to a diverse audience
· Considerable experience of conducting and managing investigations
· Influencing skills and ability to work with complexity
· Highly empathetic and have excellent communication skills
· The ability to perform the role confidentially and in a sensitive manner
· Willingness to keep abreast of and feedback on local safeguarding issues
· Charity sector experience
Digital/IT competencies required
Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Web content design & development
Internet based collaboration tools and video calling
Further details of specific tasks and duties will be agreed with the line manager as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility.
This role profile is not prescriptive; it merely outlines the key behaviours the role-holder requires to be successful in the role; the key behaviours and responsibilities are subject to change. Any changes will be made in consultation with the role-holder.
You will be expected to abide by the Code of Conduct, policies and procedures within Christian Aid which may be updated from time to time.
You must empathise with the aims, beliefs and values of Christian Aid as it seeks to work on relief, development and advocacy for poverty eradication.
How to apply
For more information on application procedures, visit Christian Aid website https://jobs.christianaid.org.uk/vacancy/3643/description and follow the steps to apply online. Please note: Hard copies of application will not be accepted.
Please forward any queries you have regarding this vacancy on email to email@example.com
Closing date for application is 25th March 2022.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Successful candidates will be given a provisional offer. Contracting into role will be conditional on Christian Aid SL being awarded the contract.
Owing to the urgency of this recruitment, the process of shortlisting and interviewing will be ongoing during the period of the advert until a successful candidate is appointed.
About the Role
· Ensure that Christian Aid’s global safeguarding policy and procedure is adhered to at Country level in all offices and regions of Sierra Leone.
· Working with country offices and partners safeguarding focal points, to ensure that all new recruits (staff, consultants and volunteers) are given a thorough safeguarding induction prior to commencing field work.
· Ensure delivery of trainings on safeguarding for staff, consultants, volunteers and partners on a regular basis working with the country team through support and co-facilitation as necessary.
· Providing technical support and accompaniment to new projects and programmes, both working through partners and with direct implementation, to ensure all safeguarding measures are integrated so as to prevent (or address) a situation where people may be put at risk of harm, abuse or exploitation due to the way the project/programme is designed or implemented
· Ensure safeguarding is embedded in the DRC offices ways of working, including programme, HR and other relevant departments.
· Work with relevant colleagues to ensure that awareness is regularly raised amongst communities we work with to ensure they understand safeguarding issues the behaviours they should expect of representatives of Christian Aid and partners staff and how they can give feedback and complaints confidentially
· Ensure that all have safeguarding risk assessment and a mitigation plan and constantly reviewing them
· Work with partners to ensure safeguarding is embedded into their ways of working, including quality safeguarding policies, code of conducts, complaints and feedback mechanisms, service mapping and referral pathways
· Regularly review safeguarding mechanisms put in place with both staff and communities to ensure they remain effective and relevant to their context and aligned with Christian-Aid Values, vision and mission, Code of Conduct and compliant with IASC Global Standard Operating Procedures on Inter-Agency Cooperation in Community-Based Complaint Mechanisms
· Coordinate with regional and global Accountability, and GESI colleagues to ensure the approach to Safeguarding in Sierra Leone is in line with the community-based approach to accountability and is inclusive”
· Work with relevant colleagues on storing safeguarding information & beneficiary data, securely both in paper and electronic formats in line with data protection policy.
· Attend relevant workshops and obtain learnings from across the sector in your region
· Conduct professional, sensitive and confidential safeguarding investigations into alleged breaches of the organisational code of conduct in liaison with the Programme Manager.
Expected national travel per annum
Expected international travel per annum
Over 75 days
Up to 40 days
On call/unsocial hours Yes
Surge capacity for emergency responses Yes - could be required to to travel for more than 75 days p.a. and for a period of up to 3 months but for no more than 6 months p.a. with no less than one month’s interval between postings unless in extreme circumstances.
In order to respond to ever changing demands within the environment, Christian Aid operates within an agile framework (both in workforce and operational) that requires from all employees, a high level of responsiveness and adaptiveness to processes and structures making flexibility and a project based working approach the norm. To sustain this system, managers may/will agree further details of specific tasks and duties as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility, and employees may be required to change the focus of their role from time to time.
The role will report to the Programme Manager and will be matrix managed by the Global Safeguarding Adviser. It will not have direct reports but will be required to oversee the implementation of our corporate response to safeguarding policies and procedures across Christian Aid’s programme in with a focus on Sierra Leone. The role will be expected to support the country team and will have the necessary interpersonal skills and a proven track record for doing this. The role will involve travel nationally in Sierra Leone It may also be called upon to support investigations or safeguarding initiatives within Christian Aid’s wider geography.